Symposium of Gastronomy - registrations now open
The 22nd Symposium of Australian Gastronomy brings together some of the most influential and creative food thinkers, writers, academics and industry professionals from Australia and beyond. For over 30 years, SAG has informed and inspired thinking and debate on Australian foodways, past, present and future.
‘Out of Place’
The main SAG program runs from Friday 16 to Sunday 18 November at the evocative Female Orphan School on the Western Sydney University (WSU) campus at Parramatta. We are excited to partner with WSU to present the Symposium at this landmark, fully-restored venue.
- We have partnered with Sydney Living Museums for our Friday evening reception at historic Elizabeth Farm, with the theme of eels and other native food
- More than 40 papers and presentation proposals covering topics from indigenous foodways to the place of imported food traditions in Australia and across the globe have been received
- Gay Bilson is the keynote speaker at the Saturday night banquet at an iconic location, with the menu curated by chef Alex Herbert.
On Monday 19 November, we have a program exploring and discussing the challenges and changes faced by our food industry. From food criticism to the role of food in social change, join chefs, cooks, restaurateurs, food scholars, writers and thinkers to consider the future of the industry and exchange ideas with industry peers.
- Author and comedian Benjamin Law will moderate a panel discussion on food and social change. Angie Prendergast from Two Good is one of the guests.
Full 3-day program (reception, banquet, Saturday, Sunday plus Monday event): $720
Full 3-day program Early bird discount: $650 [Until 31 August]
Student full 3-day program – $500
Student full 3-day program Early bird – $420 [Until 31 August]
- Student ticketholders must verify their eligibility by sending in a photo of their current student ID by reply.
Two-day SAG main program Early bird – $550 [Until 31 August]
Student two-day SAG main program – $450
Student two-day SAG main program Early bird $350 – [Until 31 August]
Additional places can be purchased for the Friday Reception at $75, and the Saturday Banquet at $120. Numbers are limited.